Thursday, November 11, 2010

Technology and travel, considered again

In an earlier post I commented that it felt a little strange to have such good technological connections to home whilst travelling in South America. I certainly came to appreciate technology's value during my father's recent illness, and subsequent passing away. I can't imagine how difficult an already emotionally fraught situation would have been without being able to call my family via Skype to discuss everything from treatment options to funeral arrangements. Not without its slightly amusing moments, as when I had to buy a drink at a bar in the Santiago airport in order to get their wifi password. It makes me nostalgic to think back to going to the post office in Vienna to make my first call home from Europe, 20-odd years ago.

(This post made possible by Bell Aliant's free wifi at St. John's airport.)

No comments: