Sunday, October 3, 2010

Santiago barbecue

This afternoon I was taken to a barbecue by Oscar, a real-life friend of my virtual friend Kala. At first it was like many parties I has been too where everyone was speaking English yet no-one spoke to me and vice-versa [so the language barrier may have been irrelevant] but after a couple of beers, a couple of glasses of Chilean wine, and a couple of piscos, things got a bit looser. I can understand 'Chilean' ok one-on-one. A couple of observations: compared to a similar group that I might have met in Canada, everyone was single [I was told, "single and cynical'] and almost everyone smoked. It was a friendly group--probably it's me who has to open up. One custom to make everyone friendlier is that when you arrive [or leave] men shake hands and kiss the women, and women kiss everyone.

Some things are cheaper here--a substantial steak, a six-pack [and an onion] came in at the equivalent of about $13 Cdn.

1 comment:

labradort said...

I like this. Much better than the quality of status updates provided by facebook. After all, they were only imitating the twitter format of "activity". More blogging, abandon facebook!