Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Still in Chile

I got to the bus station in Arica this morning only to be told by the bus company (apparently the only one that sells tickets to Arequipa) that because the Aduana (Customs) was on strike, no buses could be processed through to Peru. I didn't think to ask which country's Customs was not working, but high-tailed it back to the hotel I had just left, hoping my room was still available. Turned out it was, hadn't even been touched.

I Googled to find out what was going on and somewhat to my surprise that there was a 24 hour strike yesterday, with the threat of further action if the workers' were not "listened to". Huh. I called the Aduana directly and was told that yes, there was strike yesterday, none today. Seems that the bus ticket agent was full of it. Perhaps I shouldn't have taken her word for it and asked around, but I assumed a bus company would know. Oh well. I guess it wasn't my day to go to Peru. I cancelled my hotel reservation in Arequipa and made a new one at a cheaper (but still ok) place. The manager of my hotel called the Aduana this afternoon and was given the all clear for tomorrow.

Anyway, if I had gone to Peru I would have missed two excellent exhibit that I saw this afternoon instead at the archeology museum in Azapa, just outside Arica. One was on the history of the native peoples who lived in this area. I like these four-pointed hats--the design indicates your social class.


The other was about the Chinchorro mummies, the oldest known examples of mummification in the world, dating back to 7000 BC. The process doesn't involve embalming--basically all the soft bits are scooped out, the limbs reinforced, and the skin refilled with mud and other substances. I expect that the natural dryness of the area helps.


I also would not have found out that the hotel has a pet turtle, Natasha, who is 38 years old. The owner once tried to match her up with a male, but the two didn't get along, and the dude was soup.


While I'm at it, I can recommend my hotel, Hostal Jardin del Sol, to anyone who comes to Arica. It's probably the best value-for-money hotel that I've stayed at in Latin America. For CH$10000 a night ($20) you get a clean, well-maintained, private room with bathroom. Breakfast (somewhat on the continental side) is included. There's cable TV with English and Spanish stations in each room (I didn't come to Chile to watch TV, but it's there if you want it). The staff are friendly and helpful. There's a kitchen and computer room. My only complaint is that the wifi seems to wink out with some frequency.

No comments: