Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Serenity

After an 8hr ride ($15) on a pretty decent bus, I got into La Serena (or just Serena) at around 5.30pm. My hotel is called Maria's Casa, though I haven't met Maria yet. I've met Andres, who I think may be her son. It's somewhere between a hotel, B&B, and cabins. The hotel is at #18 on the street, and the numbering goes something like 20, 22, 1204, 18...wha? I'll have to get to the bottom of that. Fortunately it's well-marked and helpful strangers will point you to it if you look lost and carrying a big backpack.



This is the first time in many years that I've had a "shared bathroom" type of arrangement. It's working out so far. The place was recommended to me by the owner of my last hotel, and besides, I wanted to save a little money (the room goes for 9000 Chilean pesos, or about $18). My previous rooms were great, but even at $40 a night, it adds up when you're travelling for two months and are an economic deadbeat besides.

So today the Chilean miners are being rescued but there's no dancing in the streets or like behaviour, not here anyway. Serene indeed. Maybe that will happen when the last one is out of the ground. I went for a short walk around town and it feels kind of...Mexican (but without cartels) in architecture and ambiance. Not that that's a bad thing.

Update: Maria's Casa gets a thumbs up, particularly if you're a younger backpacker and/or don't mind in informal atmosphere. The staff are quite easygoing and helpful, and facilities such as the kitchen and internet are at your disposal 24 hours a day.

2 comments:

labradort said...

I don't know if you noticed any media today, but Chile was in the headlines all day Wednesday as the 33 miners came to the surface. CNN had a streaming video of the event from the 1st to the last man over most of the day.

It is probably the most exposure Chile has had in prime time media in US/Canada.

El Gallo said...

Not much. I was on a bus all day.