Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Peru, like the country

Well, I'm back in South America, in Lima, Peru. I arrived last night at around 11.

So I went through Immigration and asked the agent for an 183-day stamp. He asked me what I was going to do for six months and when I said "vacation" he seemed to look askance at that: "30 days is a vacation", he said. Then he asked me what I did for a living and whether I intended to work here. I said "programmer" ("bum¨ woul be more accurate) and "no". Anyway I got my six month stamp but with a stern warning that the visa did not permit me to work and that if I were caught working I would be expelled and never allowed back in. Obviously he didn't understand my aversion to gainful employment.

Customs was uneventful. You have to press a button that displays a green or red light and if you get red your bags are checked. I got green. I suppose I could have been busted for carrying four memory cards for my camera instead of the prescribed two.

When I exited Customs the "taxi" from my hotel was waiting: in reality a young man with a van who works for the hotel. No matter, he got me there, cost 40 soles ($14). When I got there a small bait-and-switch took place: I had reserved a room with bathroom but none were available. At midnight I wasn't going to look around for better so I took it. Supposedly the room I wanted will be available today.

The hotel looks to be a big old mansion that is now a rabbit warren of hotel rooms. Charming enough, I guess. I don't know how long I'll stay there, though: I'm having trouble connecting to the internet, both on my laptop and Kindle. The laptop appears to connect and the signal strength is "Very Good" but I can't load any pages. I'm addicted enough that I don't know if I can handle it without access. Right now I'm at an internet cafe (cost 1 sol--35 cents--per hour).

The temperature is in the mid-20s...woo hoo...and even last night when I arrived it was 19--a change from those cold nights in the mountains. I think it was -10 or something when I left Toronto, and I gather from my friends' Facebook comments that it snowed again yesterday in amounts that may or may not have been a snowstorm (in Toronto, you never can tell).

1 comment:

Maritime Gypsy said...

There was a 'storm' it made things messy during the commute... the accumulation is nothing that East Coasters can't handle... I've had to drive to UNBSJ in worse weather, dig my own parking space and dig myself out after class once the plows finally arrived. The 'emergency shovel' I kept year round in the trunk (Santa brought me one year) was a huge help!

Enjoy your gainfully unemployed time bumming around Peru. By the sounds of those prices, you'll stretch your savings pretty far.