Monday, January 31, 2011

Tambo (Provincia de La Mar, Region de Ayacucho)

The other day I went to the town of Tambo, about 70 km from Ayacucho. It wasn't in any of my guide books, but my friend Steve hung out there sometimes when he lived in Peru in the 70s, and suggested that I check it out. I think there was something about a frisky English nurse too.

As usual, the first step was to find a colectivo. I went to where they all hang out and was approached by a tout. I don't know who he worked for, possibly just himself, because when I said I wanted to go to Tambo, he took me around to various colectivos to see if they wanted a passenger going that way. The first few didn't, but eventually he found me a ride in the right direction. I don't think the guy with the vehicle was actually in the colectivo business per se--I think was just a guy from Tambo who was going that way and figured he'd make a few soles for his trouble. For one thing, he was driving a nice SUV, which isn't the norm (rattly 15-seat vans). After he rounded up three more people we were on our way. Being in a good vehicle was somewhat comforting as we ascended a winding, narrow, occasionally washed-out mountain road in the rain and fog. And Peruvian drivers have a habit of passing on curves. Of course, the roads often consist of nothing but curves...

We got in Tambo and hour and a half later, which the driver boasted was a hour faster than the colectivos would take. I got dumped off at the first hospedaje (hotel) we passed, where I got a room for 20 soles ($7) that wasn't worth a penny more. Here is on of the famous electric showers that you sometimes find in Latin America. I didn't use it, not out of fear of electrocution, but because I thought spending too much time in that bathroom might make me dirtier rather than cleaner.



It was pouring rain by this time but I figured I might as well have a look around. There was a scraggly outdoor market, the highlight of which was a little booth run by a young guy selling music DVDs--which the prospective customer and anyone else walking by got to preview. Here is a typical stall:


After that I took a little walk down the street:


Some street, huh. Not all the roads were like that, but many were pretty rough. Here are some typical houses.


In Peruvian Spanish you'd call these humilde--humble, or just plain poor. Life in the mountains of Peru has to be judged by different standards than in Canada, but when you live in a mud-brick house with no windows and a dirt floor, I don't see how you can be living very high on the human development scale. Despite several trips to Latin America, this was probably the first time I really came face to face with rural poverty. Not dying-in-the-streets poverty, but poverty nonetheless. I didn't come here to be a "poverty tourist" by any means, but since it exists, I might as well have seen it.

Tambo is largely a Quechua town. I seemed to be the only gringo around, that day at least, which provoked some curiosity. I expect there aren't many tourists who come that way. I didn't see any frisky English nurses either. I felt slightly uncomfortable, since at the best of times I try to pass under the radar, but I wouldn't say there was any hostility shown toward me. I tried to be polite and say buenas tardes to everyone. One older woman replied Hola señor gringo in a not-unfriendly way.

I don't want to paint the places as all grim. The physical setting is lovely:






There was entertainment too, in the main square:



The game started around 4pm and when I wandered by at around 6 it was still going on, but with some changes of personnel. They were pretty good too--being taller would have helped though.

No comments: